Dear Community Members:
We would like to cordially invite you all to the Annual TNC Fund Raiser on:
Date / Time: June 8th 2019 (Saturday) at 6:30 PM
Venue: Fremont Senior Center
40086 Paseo Padre Pkwy
Fremont, CA 94538.
The annual TNC 2019 Fund Raiser is happy to host four organizations and here is a brief summary of their ongoing projects:
1. IMHO: http://theimho.org/
IMHO is a grassroots global health nonprofit organization and over the past 15 years, has invested nearly $6.0M in financial and material support to local organizations to address health issues, chronic poverty, and other hardships across Sri Lanka. The past year has been very rewarding in as far as successful implementation of IMHO projects, some of which are:
- Water & Sanitation– Paadalipuram Community Water Supply, Upcountry Community Sanitation, etc.
- Educational Support – Student assistance & teacher salary subsidies in Vanni, …
- Livelihood/Resettlement Assistance- Livelihood projects with provision of boats, engines and nets for resettled families in Sampoor and other areas in the North and East, …
- Primary Care: Newly opened Diabetic Center in Kalmunai, Mobile Clinics in remote areas,
- Easter Sunday victims: Supporting emergency needs of burn injuries at the Batticaloa Teaching Hospital while addressing long term requirements on psychological counseling for the affected children, individuals and families
2. ITEE Foundation: http://www.educatefortomorrow.
ITEE Foundation established by bay area community as 501 c(3) Charity to leverage “tech” as the game changing platform to make North & East, economic power houses after Colombo uplifting the entire community….takes only one home run from a startup to make the impact like what Microsoft did to Redmond, WA.
Focused on 3 E’s – Education, Entrepreneurship & Employment creation…long-term impact to entire community…not short-term band-aids to a limited few. Our efforts are spearheaded by Yarl IT Hub on the ground:
- Uki.life – Uki is a full scholarship technology school training students with skills needed by Tech industry. Opened up two campuses in Jaffna and Killinochi.
- Graduated 58 students, all of whom were found internships with 24 private sector companies & startups. First batch from our kilinochi campus will pass out in August. We are providing much needed talent capacity for tech startup companies in Jaffna.
- Aki.coach – Aki.coach has been launched as a mobile platform with e-learning content for Math and Science for O-Level and full stack programming. 500+ questions for Maths, Biology, Physics and Chemistry for A/L students. Goal is to reach 20,000 students given the penetration of mobile phones vs computers in rural communities
- Working on launching an Angel Seed Fund & Mentoring to incubate/accelerate startups in N&E.
- Support YIT on annual Geek competitions to encourage innovation & growth in N&E
3. NOW-WOW: http://www.nowwow.org/
New Opportunities for Wounded, Widowed, and Orphans of War (NOWWOW) is a 501 c(3) registered charity that works to reestablish the lives and livelihoods of war-affected individuals and communities in the North and East of Sri Lanka. Over the last 7 years, we have strived to support and sustain communities through education, employment and empowerment projects. In the last year, we have funded over $65,000 USD worth of projects including:
- Counselling for children with special needs
- Medical aid and individual support of widows and paraplegic individuals in Vanni, Batticaloa and Jaffna.
- The university scholarship fund, as well as 5th grade scholarship
- English training classes for teachers in Vanni and parent education in Vanni
- Empower communities through our “Leaders for Tomorrow” – 21st century skills development for students in Kilinochchi.
- Suyam war widows – Food manufacturing in Vanni and Batticaloa
- Integrated farm in Puthukudiyiruppu
4. Peer-to-Peer: www.peer2peerfoundation.org
(We will have information from Peer-to-Peer in the next flyer on May 31st.)
The four organizations will present details on all their projects, including those mentioned above and other ongoing projects as well as their plans for the coming year. You will have an opportunity to get more details in the interactive Q&A session, immediately following their presentation.
Over the years, community members have donated very generously towards the wellbeing of the civil war victims and those in need by providing funds towards medicine, education, food, clothing and shelter.
We look forward to your active participation in the TNC annual Fund Raiser event and show your support for those in need.
TNC 2019 Board